Friday, November 5, 2010

Food Waste Friday

Spending money wisely also means not wasting it... and that includes not wasting food.  So, each week I will document what food is needlessly wasted and report it here.  Feel free to leave me a comment with your own food waste.
This has not been my best week.  :(

Here goes...
• 1/2 can of split pea and ham soup (Okay, I feel the need to defend myself here.  Two hours after eating the first half of the can I got violently sick - in all ways possible.  I can not say for sure that the soup made me sick but there was no way I was going to take the risk with the 2nd half of the can.  This is one I happily threw away.)
• 1 zucchini (It rotted; I threw it in the compost bin.)
• 1 package of blueberries (I admit that I forgot about these.  They now joined the zucchini in the compost bin.)
• 2 cups of milk

P.S.  Anyone have some good suggestions for what to do with pears?  I am afraid I am going to have several pears on this list next week if I can't come up with some good use for them.  

2 comments:

  1. Use them in pear bread, or in carrot cake. I puree them ( after peeling) and then add them to the batter. You have to be careful about adding too much liquid, but they do a nice job of replacing oil. Just took my loaf of pear bread out of the oven....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about 6 bosc pears that I am making into pear sauce. Skin and dice pears into large chunks. Add pears and 1/2 cup water to sauce pot along with any spices you like (I am adding cinamon (sp?) and vanilla. Bring to a quick boil and then simmer until the pears are soft enough to mash

    Saryn

    ReplyDelete